Goal area 1: student learning:
HPU, holding teaching and learning as its highest priorities,
will help students to achieve their academic and personal goals
through the design, development and implementation of programs,
facilities, and services that support students in the learning
1. Assure quality, responsive, and challenging learning opportunities.
2. Improve quality of and access to teaching-learning resources.
3. Maintain commitment to quality teacher-student and staff-student
4. Expand opportunities for out-of-the-classroom learning experiences.
5. Extend the University’s commitment to working within
a culture of evidence, including the use of learning assessment
techniques in all areas related to student learning.
Goal area 2: university community: HPU will enhance the quality
of the University community through the support of faculty,
staff, and students in their respective roles and responsibilities.
1. Create “gathering places” for
students, faculty, and staff.
2. Increase professional development opportunities for faculty
and staff to maximize levels of effectiveness (knowledge, skills,
attributes) and to provide recognition.
3. Provide vehicles to foster interaction and communication
between units and individuals to promote teamwork.4. Develop
teams in the context of shared governance to identify potential
leaders and plan for leadership development.
Goal area 3: global citizenship: HPU will develop a University
definition for “global citizenship” to guide student
outcome assessments and improvement of learning experiences
to promote global citizenship.
1. Define conceptions of global citizenship held by students,
faculty, and staff.
2. Develop and disseminate a University definition of “global
citizenship” that provides students a framework within
which to develop and practice their own definition.
3. Implement programs and activities to promote global citizenship.
4. Increase commitment of students and faculty to development
of global citizenship as a learning outcome.
Goal area 4: institutional effectiveness HPU will demonstrate
increased institutional effectiveness associated with the direct
and indirect benefits of the 2010 planning process.
1. Increase the scope of decision making achieved through shared
2. Establish a process for faculty consultation on resource
allocation and decision making.
3. Examine role of the Military Campus Program in overall mission
of the University.
4. Maintain managed enrollment growth and diversity in the
origin of students with respect to Hawai‘i, U.S. mainland,
and international students.
5. Balance University’s strengths and support for scholarship,
service, and teaching.
6. Explore HPU organizational design and criteria for reorganization
7. Address HPU’s activity in distance-learning and Web-enhanced
8. Implement an Office for Planning and
Assessment that reports to the academic dean.
Goal area 5: academic infrastructure: HPU will provide a sufficient
and high-quality infrastructure to support all academic programs
and student learning within those programs.
1. Maintain responsiveness to progress in technology that enhances
and supports learning-related activities and institutional
2. Demonstrate responsiveness to staff development needs for
using new technologies and facilities.
3. Increase the quality of and access to learning resources
and facilities that directly and indirectly support learning.
may include: integrated downtown presence, long-term plans
for academic structures or centers that focus facilities & concentrate
people and resources on specific areas, dormitory expansion.)
4. Achieve participation in and collaboration with the global