Nominations for entries to be considered for
annual Excellence in Undergraduate Writing Awards are due Jan.
Undergraduate essays or research papers in four categories
must be submitted, with nomination forms, to Miriam Fouad,
Chairperson, at the Scholarship and Honors office, 1164 Bishop
St. (UB) Suite 210A. Nomination forms are available from the
Scholarship and Honors office.
The four categories are:
I English, humanities
II Social sciences
III Natural sciences, math ematics, nursing
IV Business, computer
Student papers must have been written during the period from
spring 2003 through fall semester 2003.
Winning students will receive a $500 cash award and a certificate.
They and ttheir nominating instructors will be guests of the
University at the formal
presentation to be held at the 21st Annual Honors Banquet, March 14 at the
Papers will be judged according to how well:
- The writer presents original ideas in a thoughful and convincing
- The writing displayts a pattern of development, reflected
in well-sequenced paragraphs with an effective beginning, rewarding
middle, and satisfying end.
- Paragraphs should also have coherently ordered sentences
focused on a single topic.
- The writers assertions are supported with explanations,
illustrations, data , or expert opinions.
- The writer uses an appropriate documentation method.
- The writer uses vocabulary that is well-suited for its purposes
and spelling, grammar, and punctuation in a nondistracting
For more information, call 544-0884 or e-mail email@example.com.