.Front Page


.Student Life


.Science & Environment

.Arts & Entertainment




.People & Places

.Women's Life

.Military Matters





.About Us



by Melissa Mejia, staff writer
The Hawai‘i Komen Foundation affiliate will host its 12th annual Race for the Cure on Oct. 22 at Kapiolani Park at 7 a.m. There will be a 5k race and a one-mile fun walk/run.

The funds from the event support breast cancer research and patient support programs.

According to the Komen Foundation, 75 percent of the funds stay within the local community to fund breast health education, screening, and treatment projects. The remaining 25 percent of the proceeds support the Komen Foundation Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking cancer research and various conferences around the world.

According to the Komen Foundation an estimated 212,920 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States this year. The American Cancer Society (ACS) states that one woman is diagnosed every three minutes, while one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States. The Komen Foundation estimates that more than 40,000 women will die from it this year.

Since 1975, according to the ACS, there has been an increase among men diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s estimated that there will be more than 1,700 new cases of breast cancer this year with an estimated 460 men dying from it.

Breast cancer is second only to lung cancer in cancer-caused deaths. Since 1990 there has been a two percent drop in breast cancer death rates due to early detection through screening, increased awareness, and improved treatments.

The Komen Foundation and ACS recommend women start breast examinations at age 20. Self-examination should be done monthly, while a clinical breast examination should be conducted at least every three years.

For more information about the Susan G. Komen Foundation Race for the Cure event visit www.komenhawaii.org. or www.acs.org.


Kalamalama, the HPU Student Newspaper. All rights reserved.

Web site designed by Robin Hansson.and maintained by Christina Failma

Web Counter

Untitled Document