.Front Page


.Student Life


.Science & Environment

.Arts & Entertainment




.Outdoor Living

.People & Places

.Women's Life

.Military Matters





.About Us



by Kaylee Noborikawa, staff writer

To play four games in five days is difficult, but to play those games on the road is even harder. The HPU men’s soccer team faced this daunting challenge when they took on two conference teams and two non-conference teams on the mainland.

The Sea Warriors were on a four-game winning streak coming into their first road match against Western Washington University on Oct. 11. The nonconference game was played on the campus of Grand Canyon University, the current leader in the PacWest conference.

WWU (10-4 overall) came out strong in the first half, taking eight shots on the Sea Warrior goal. Gibson Bardly secured the first goal of the game for the Vikings with a header off a corner kick.
The Sea Warriors (4-4 overall) fought back in the second half, but Keith Ferris was able to get the ball past goalkeeper Matt Terry on a breakaway. HPU could not make a comeback and fell short to the Vikings, 2-0. Jim Terry had two shots on goal for the Sea Warriors, while his twin brother, Matt, recorded two saves.

The next day, the Sea Warriors took on the GCU Antelopes (6-0).

The two undefeated teams played a pretty even match in every aspect. Adam Rieke scored the first goal and gave HPU the lead for the first half.

In the second half, the Antelopes showed they weren’t ready to be dethroned from first place in the conference.

GCU’s Bosko Jovicevic stepped up for the Antelopes and scored on a direct kick in the 62nd minute.

The Antelopes used that goal to add to their momentum and drew a penalty kick in the 74th minute. Jovicevic found the net once again to give GCU the 2-1 victory, and handing the Sea Warriors their first conference loss.

Two days later, HPU took on Notre Dame de Namur University (3-3).

The first three goals of the game occurred within two minutes in the first half. HPU’s Andre Whitt put the Sea Warriors on the scoreboard in the 19th minute. About 30 seconds later, the Sea Warriors scored again by Akihide Adachi, who kicked in a rebound. NDNU bounced back by scoring one minute later.

The Argos tied it up in the second half off a penalty kick. In the last four minutes of the game, NDNU’s Andres Caballero scored on a breakaway to seal the victory for the Argos.
Despite the two conference losses, HPU remains in second place in the PacWest conference.



Kalamalama, the HPU Student Newspaper. All rights reserved.

Web site designed by Robin Hansson.and maintained by Christina Failma

Web Counter

Untitled Document