Want to increase your success
as a student at HPU? Here are a few suggestions from fellow
students and graduates who have been through the process.
Establish your credibility as a conscientious student in class
by following these simple steps:
1. Be familiar with your syllabus which includes:
- test dates and due dates for assignments
- attendance and tardy policies
- make-up tests and late assignment policies
2. Since notebooks can be lost and, unfortunately, stolen, make
extra copies of papers and handouts and keep them in a separate
3. Attend all labs, study sessions, or supplemental instructions
programs associated with a class. Your grades should show marked
4. Turn in all of your assignments in a timely manner.
5. Ask several people in your class for their phone numbers for
6. If you missed an assignment, ask TWO different people in class
about what you need to do to catch up. Try to avoid asking the
professor a question that could easily be answered by fellow
7. Professors are extremely busy people. Use their time and your
time wisely and productively. Schedule an appointment with your
professors and be prepared at these meetings by taking notes,
bringing in assignments, handouts, etc. that you may have questions
8. Have a plan of action for your particular course. Also, have
a contingency plan in case things do not go according to your
original action plan.
9. Go for small victories, and celebrate when you achieve them.
Be proud of your accomplishments and visualize the finish line.
With a proactive approach to learning, regular contacts with
your support group of faculty, staff, including your academic
advisor, and classmates, as well as staying focused on the ultimate
goal of graduation, you too can become a more successful student.